Our little blog for our little family

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thanks for the card!

This morning, I woke up at 5:03 and realized there was pure quiet around me. Ahhhh. Usually, Tyler is stirring by now- but not today.

Today, God had answered my prayer (and I truly do pray to sleep past sunrise)- Ty was sleeping in... on my birthday. Folks would assume I wake up early with my 3 month old baby- not the case. She sleeps 12 hours straight, bless her little heart. It's Tyler- he's the early riser.

I laid in bed for a while, then quietly crept down the stairs while Rob showered- I didn't want to wake Ty up. My first task of the morning is ALWAYS to pump milk- so I started... in peace.

I was thinking, "Wow. This is a great start to my birthday... time to myself. That's rare." I was planning on making myself a cup of coffee when I heard Ty. "Oh well," I thought. "I guess today will be like every other day."

I heard Rob go to get him. They seemed to be having a lengthy exchange. "Thanks Rob," I thought. "At least I can finish pumping."

Rob brought Tyler down just before 6am, a wide smile on his face. Tyler was carrying his Pooh Bear and a birthday card. He was asking for a balloon.

Rob helped Tyler hand me the card- a thoughtfully chosen Pooh card. There is a picture of Pooh and Piglet holding a balloon (hence the balloon request).

I said, "Thanks Ty- you got Mommy a birthday card, and you colored in it."

Ty yelled, "AND POOH!"


Aw, that's sweet.

Rob then says, "Yeah, and I had to wake him up to get him to color it. I wouldn't have wanted you to not get your card from Ty."

Um, WHAT?! Rob WOKE UP Tyler so I could have a card?

Rob, seeing the look of confusion and perhaps disappointment on my face quickly explained his thinking. "Well you are ALWAYS with him, and you didn't work this week, so when else would I have had time to get him to sign the card?"

God bless Rob- he tries so hard. What I REALLY wanted, more than anything, is a cup of coffee and some time- even 10 minutes- to myself. Because yes, I am ALWAYS with the babies.

Oh well.

It is the start to a typical day, but a happy birthday. Tyler just handed me his Pooh Bear to hold so he can have both hands free for his mini fit about how he wants a balloon. Rob is on his way to work.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I'm just writing to tell you that I would have remembered your birthday even if you hadn't postes this. I'm really awesome like that!

Mrs.M said...

Happy Birthday!!! I couldn't help but laugh at Rob waking Ty up. :o(

Annette said...

Happy Birthday Katy! Silly Daddies, they try so hard! That's so sweet the card was also from Pooh, hope the meltdown about the balloon didn't last long.:)

Morgan and Grayson said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATY!

Patti said...

Happy Birthday! I hear you on the quest for peace in the AM...I had the sheer pleasure the other morning of having a shower before Mebret woke up!

Nana said...

Hope the rest of your birthday went well. Hope you got our message on your cell. Maybe this is the start of Ty sleeping later??

Grandma said...

good reason for Ty to get up early!